Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Call Number/Catalog Number B 0061
Title Vote "Yes" initiative 11 this November Rhodes Tavern, circa 1983
Collection Broadside collection
Object Name Broadside
Creator Save Historic Rhodes Tavern Initiative Committee
Description Poster with two b&w reproductions of art depicting Rhodes Tavern, one as it might have looked in its early years, and the other in the 1980s. Describes "what it once was" and "what it can be again."
Search Terms Rhodes Tavern
Date [circa 1983]
Admin/Biographical History Rhodes Tavern, scene of many historic events opened in 1799 and served as a tavern, "town hall", polling place, boarding house, bank, stock exchange, and the headquarters of the National Press Club. Every inaugural parade from Thomas Jefferson's in 1801 to Ronald Reagan's in 1981 went by the tavern. Oliver T. Carr purchased most of the block on which Rhodes Tavern sat in order to redevelop the area. By the time Carr purchased the tavern, it had ceased to resemble its original form, but many architects and historians saw merit in retaining the structure even with these changes because of its importance to the history of the District.

Located less than a block from the White House at the northeast corner of 15th and F Sts NW, planned to tear it down to build new offices and retail shops. A seven year protracted legal battle then began between preservationists trying to stop Carr from demolishing the building. An initiative was passed by the citizens of Washington to preserve the building in 1983, but Carr had the building razed one night in 1984.


The tavern was located less than a block from the White House at 15 and F Sts NW. Carr planned to tear it down to build new offices and retail shops. In a seven year protracted legal battle, preservationists worked to stop Carr from demolishing the building. An initiative was passed by the citizens of Washington to preserve the building in 1983, but city officials did not support the initiative, issued a demolition permet, and Carr had the building razed on Sept. 10, 1984.
People Grano, Joseph N., Jr.
Dates of Creation [circa 1983]
Extent 1 broadside
Level of description Item