|Call Number/Catalog Number||MS 0825|
|Title||Neighborhoods Survey oral history collection, 1989. (MS 0825).|
|Collection||Neighborhoods Survey oral history collection|
|Description||This collection contains tapes of interviews with D.C. residents that detail the architectural and social development of notable and historic neighborhoods in D.C. Among the interviewees are Stan Anderson, Mary Patrick Clements, Norman E. Dale, Dr. Charles E. Miles, J. Gibson Semmes, Erma Simon, and Morton Werber.|
|Subjects||Anacostia (Washington, D.C.) History|
Congress Heights, neighborhood, Congress Park, neighborhood
The Neighborhood Survey Oral History Collection consists of archaeological and oral histories for Anacostia, Barry Farms, Upper Cardozo, Columbia Heights, and Congress Heights. The research projects detail the development of the notable and/or historic neighborhoods in D.C. All of the studies begin with a history of the neighborhoods from the seventeenth or eighteenth centuries. The project began in the early 1980s and concluded in the early 1990s. The final project was submitted to the Historic Preservation Division of Washington, D.C.
Anacostia/Barry Farms was created under the provision of Special Order 61 of the U.S. States Departmental of War, Bureau of Refugees, Freedman’s Bureau and Abandoned Lands, which authorized $52,000.00 towards the purchase of land to settle ex-slaves. In 1867, 375 acres of land, on the Maryland of the Anacostia River, formerly owned by the Barry family, was purchased by the government. The tract of land remained in Prince George’s County until an act of Congress in 1791 moved the county-to-city boundaries and, making Barry Farms a D.C. neighborhood. Upper Cardozo and Columbia Heights were completely outside of the Federal City of Washington, until the 1878 Organic Act changed the status of Washington, D.C. boundaries. There were expansive efforts to populate the neighborhood. Congress Heights was initially farmland, but development began in the 1880s. The rapid development of Congress Heights and the areas adjacent to the streetcar line on Nichols Avenue led the government of the District of Columbia to extend South Capitol Street into the area east of the Anacostia River. Beginning near St. Elizabeths Hospital, a line of bluffs extended roughly southward until it reached what is now Chesapeake Street SW.
|Archival History||Gift of the D.C. Historic Preservation Office, 1998.004. This collection was processed as part of the D.C. Africana Archives Project, a grant initiative of the George Washington University Libraries supported by the Council on Library and Information Resources.|
Ball, Louise Sayles
Battle, Percy M.
Clements, Mary Patrick
Cobb, Dr. Montague W.
Dale, Norman E.
Fuller, Barbara Bolling
Jones, Frances Mason
Life, Albert A.
McCain Smith, Mrs.
Miles, Dr. Charles E.
Semmes, J. Gibson
Zoltrow, Henrietta Y.
|Extent||1.5 cubic ft. (2 containers)|
|Level of description||Fonds|
Finding aid available in repository as well as online:
|System of arrangement||This collection is arranged by neighborhood and then in alphabetical order by surname of interviewee.|
|Finding Aid||Finding Aid|